Before you write your job application (Cover) letter
The job application letter is an important part of the job application process. In this letter, the applicants prove their intention and qualifications for a specific job position. This document gives meaning to your skills and experiences written in your resume. It is also a measure of your communication and writing skills, and so deserves adequate attention. Before you start writing an application letter, it is very important to learn about the hiring company as well as the job requirements. It is also important to gather and organization information about your skills and experiences, so you can tailor your qualification to the specifics of the job. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you prepare to write your application letter:
- Gather all the information about the job position and requirements. Read extensively about the company and why they need to hire a new person. Understand the goals, the culture, and the direction of the company. Having this information shows your strong interest in the job position, and it will help you not only write a convincing cover letter but also show interest and confidence during an interview, should you be offered one.
- Assess your skills and the job requirements to make sure you are equipped to meet the employer’s needs. Identify any special experiences and skills you have that could benefit the company. To do this, assume you are already hired, and ask yourself what you could do at the job that would help the company. Are they expanding in the area of your expertise? Have you worked for their major competitors for several years? Do you speak an extra language that could help?
- Know the position, the name, and the title of the specific person to whom you will be addressing the cover letter.
- Read your resume again so you can avoid repeating everything written in it.
- Organize information about your skills and experiences that are most relevant to the job you are applying to.
For information about the content and the format of a job application letter, please visit the Afrisnet Resources page.